Image via Wikipedia
Construction progress continues on the West Valley TRAX Line. To keep business and traffic impacts to a minimum, this five-mile project has been separated into seven construction “reaches,” or segments, for management and planning purposes. The map below shows each construction reach in a different color, starting with Reach 1 in light green on the south end of the project and ending
A description of what is happening in each area is listed below. If you need further construction information, please call our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854.
Reach Description: Reach 1 is the area along Constitution Boulevard (2700 South) from West Valley City Hall at 3600 South extending north to 3100 South. This area includes both large and small businesses, as well as many residents. Access to all businesses and residences will be maintained throughout construction.
· Crews continue to work in the center of Constitution Boulevard on the overhead electric poles, placing ballast and distributing ties and rail.
· The traffic signal is now in operation at 3360 South and Constitution Boulevard.
Traffic Impacts: There currently are minor lane restrictions along Constitution Boulevard; however, access is being maintained throughout the area.
Reach Description: Reach 2 is the area along 3100 South from Constitution Boulevard to Decker Lake Drive. The E Center and a few other businesses are located in this reach, as well as residents on either side of 3100 South. Access will be maintained throughout construction and we will work with the E Center to coordinate our efforts so you can continue to visit the great events they have to offer. When TRAX is completed along 3100 South, it will operate on the south side of the roadway.
· Work continues on the TRAX bridge approaches over I-215 on the south side of 3100 South.
· Crews are currently distributing rail and bottom ballast in this area.
· Construction is taking place along 3100 south as crews relocate utilities in this area.
Traffic Impacts: Currently there are lanes restrictions on 3100 South; however, access is being maintained throughout the area.
Reach Description: Reach 3 is the area along Decker Lake Drive from 3100 South to Research Way (2770 South) and running east to Redwood Road. This area includes many commercial office buildings with thousands of employees who access this area on a daily basis. We will continually work with businesses to ensure access is maintained.
· Track and station work continues in the center of Decker Lake Drive.
· Underground continues along Research Way.
· We encourage motorists to please obey the posted speed limits along Decker Lake Drive.
· Nighttime construction continues on Redwood Road at Research Way. Although there will be lane restrictions, access will be maintained from both directions at all times. This work will be ongoing for approximately three weeks.
· Utility and road construction on northern part of Decker Lake Drive just south of Research Way – this portion of road work is scheduled to take place mid March will last about 6 weeks – access will be maintained.
· Utility and road construction on Research Way between Decker Lake Drive and Redwood Road – this portion of road work is currently under construction as crews move utilities. The remainder of this work is scheduled to take place during spring 2010 – access will be maintained.
· Redwood Road track crossing – this portion of work is scheduled to take place during spring 2010 – access will be maintained.
Traffic Impacts: Currently, there are lane restrictions along Decker Lake Drive and Research Way but access is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 4 runs through the Chesterfield residential area along 2770 South and proceeds along the Decker Lake Canal and the Crosstowne Trail. We will work with residents to ensure a safe working environment that provides access to their properties throughout construction.
· Significant work has been accomplished in the Chesterfield area. Crews continue to work on the rail and other items in this area.
· The Crosstowne Trail along 2770 South just east of Redwood Road to the Brighton Canal has been paved but will remain closed until TRAX is completed in this area.
Reach Description: Reach 5 will include construction along 1070 West in the Chesterfield industrial area. This reach will include one bridge structure over the Jordan River and another over 900 West.
· Trenches in this area are filled and temporarily paved for winter.
· Crews are working on the overhead wiring system in this area.
· Work continues on the Jordan River bridge and the pedestrian and bike tunnel in this area.
Traffic Impacts: As construction proceeds, there will be lane restrictions, although access will be maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 6 runs through the Union Pacific Railroad’s Roper Yard area. Although there are no businesses and residents, extensive coordination will take place with the Union Pacific Railroad to ensure that freight deliveries and other train travel is maintained. Reach 6 includes plans for an extensive bridging system that will enable TRAX to operate over other train traffic.
· Progress continues on the TRAX bridge structures over 900 West at approximately 2200 South and also at the Union Pacific Railroad Roper Yard area.
Reach Description: Reach 7 is the area where the West Valley Line will connect with the current North/South TRAX Line. Construction will take place along Andy Avenue in South Salt Lake. Crews will closely coordinate activities with businesses to ensure access is maintained.
· Progress continues on the TRAX bridge approaches on either side of 600 West.
Traffic Impacts: Currently there are no traffic impacts on Andy Avenue.
Access during Construction
UTA is committed to maintaining 24-hour access to all of the businesses and residences along the construction corridor. We will coordinate with businesses in cases where access may be temporarily limited.
Construction on the project is permitted to take place between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Additionally, specific activities may require different working hours depending upon the conditions and will be coordinated with city officials.
If you are interested in learning more about the construction project, please call our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854.
For More Information
Timely and helpful information is available to assist business and residential communities as well as commuters and stakeholders.
If you have further questions not answered by this report or any comments regarding the project, please contact our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit UTA’s Web site at www.rideuta.com.