Image by darktek13 via Flickr
Construction progress continues on the West Valley TRAX Line. To keep business and traffic impacts to a minimum, this five-mile project has been separated into seven construction “reaches,” or segments, for management and planning purposes. The map below shows each construction reach in a different color, starting with Reach 1 in light green on the south end of the project and ending with Reach 7 in dark green on the north end.
A description of what is happening in each area is listed below. If you need further construction information, please call our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854.
Reach Description: Reach 1 is the area along Constitution Boulevard (2700 West) from West Valley City Hall at 3600 South extending north to 3100 South. This area includes both large and small businesses, as well as many residents. Access to all businesses and residences will be maintained throughout construction.
· Overhead wire work continues along Constitution Boulevard.
· Crews are forming and pouring the platform at West Valley City Hall.
· Night work is taking place near the 3100 South and Constitution Boulevard intersection. This work is scheduled to last until June 12 as crews work on an electrical communication system. Noise is anticipated to be minimal.
· Crews will begin installing station canopies and benches during the first few weeks of June.
Traffic Impacts: There are lane restrictions along Constitution Boulevard; however, access is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 2 is the area along 3100 South from Constitution Boulevard to Decker Lake Drive. The E Center and a few other businesses are located in this reach, as well as residents on either side of 3100 South. Access will be maintained throughout construction and we will coordinate with the E Center so you can continue to visit the great events they have to offer. When TRAX is completed along 3100 South, it will operate on the south side of the roadway.
· Work continues on the TRAX bridge approaches over I-215 on the south side of 3100 South.
· Work on the overhead electric system is taking place near Decker Lake Drive and 3100 South.
· Crews are currently working on curbs and sidewalks near the E Center.
· Landscaping is scheduled to take place in planter islands toward the end of June.
· Traffic control is in place along 3100 South; however, access is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 3 is the area along Decker Lake Drive from 3100 South to Research Way (2770 South) and running east to Redwood Road. This area includes many commercial office buildings with thousands of employees. We will continue to work with businesses to ensure access is maintained.
· Decker Lake Drive is now open. We appreciate businesses for their patience during this work.
· Research way will close at Redwood Road on June 29-30. During this time traffic will be detoured to Decker Lake Drive and 3100 South.
· Track and station work continues in the center of Decker Lake Drive.
· We encourage motorists to please obey the posted speed limits.
· Decker Lake Drive is expected to be reopened to north/south traffic next week.
Traffic Impacts: Currently, there are lane restrictions along Decker Lake Drive and Research Way, but access is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 4 runs through the Chesterfield residential area along 2770 South and proceeds along the Decker Lake Canal and the Crosstowne Trail. We will work with residents to ensure a safe working environment that provides access to their properties throughout construction.
· Significant work has been accomplished in the Chesterfield area. Crews continue to work on the rail and other items.
Reach Description: Reach 5 includes construction along 1070 West in the Chesterfield industrial area. This reach includea one bridge structure over the Jordan River and another over 900 West.
· Crews are excavating the east side of 1070 West. This work will include new curbs, gutters, sidewalks, and driveways. Access to all businesses will be maintained.
· We thank businesses in this area for their patience during construction.
· Work also continues on the Jordan River Bridge and tunnel.
Traffic Impacts: There are various lane restrictions on 1070 West; however, access to businesses is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 6 runs through the Union Pacific Railroad’s Roper Yard area. Although there are no businesses and residents, extensive coordination will take place to ensure that train travel is maintained. Reach 6 includes plans for an extensive bridging system that will enable TRAX to operate over other train traffic.
· Progress continues on the TRAX bridge structures over 900 West at approximately 2200 South and also at the Union Pacific Railroad Roper Yard area.
· Work is also taking place on the overhead electric system.
Reach Description: Reach 7 is the area where the West Valley Line will connect with the current north/south TRAX Line. Construction is taking place along Andy Avenue in South Salt Lake. Crews will closely coordinate activities with businesses to ensure access is maintained.
· Drainage and track work continues between 300 West and 600 West.
· Crews are scheduled to distribute ties and rail toward the last part of June between 300 West and 600 West.
· 300 West at Andy Avenue is scheduled to temporarily close for TRAX construction beginning at 9 p.m. on Friday, June 25, until 5 a.m. on Monday, June 28. Crews will be installing the tracks across 300 West. This temporary closure is scheduled during the weekend and nights to minimize impacts to the traveling public. We will meet with businesses to talk about detours to be implemented during this closure.
Access during Construction
UTA is committed to maintaining 24-hour access to all of the businesses and residences along the construction corridor. We will coordinate with businesses in cases where access may be temporarily limited.
Construction on the project is permitted to take place between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Additionally, specific activities may require different working hours depending upon conditions and will be coordinated with city officials.
If you are interested in learning more about the construction project, please call our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854.
For More Information
Timely and helpful information is available to assist business and residential communities as well as commuters and stakeholders.
If you have questions or comments, please contact our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854 or e-mail email@example.com. You can also visit UTA’s Web site at www.rideuta.com.