Image by darktek13 via Flickr
Construction progress continues on the West Valley TRAX Line. To keep business and traffic impacts to a minimum, this five-mile project has been separated into seven construction “reaches,” or segments, for management and planning purposes. The map below shows each construction reach in a different color, starting with Reach 1 in light green on the south end of the project and ending with Reach 7 in light green on the east end of the project.
A description of what is happening in each area is listed below. If you need further construction information, please call our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854.
Reach Description: Reach 1 is the area along Constitution Boulevard (2700 West) from West Valley City Hall at 3600 South extending north to 3100 South. This area includes both large and small businesses, as well as many residences. Access to all businesses and residences will be maintained throughout construction.
· Overhead wire work continues along Constitution Boulevard.
· Crews are currently forming and pouring the platform at West Valley City Hall.
· Night work is currently taking place near the 3100 South and Constitution Boulevard intersection. This work is scheduled to last until June 12 as crews work on an electrical communication system. Noise is anticipated to be minimal during this night work.
· Crews will begin installing station canopies and benches during the first few weeks of June.
Traffic Impacts: There currently are lane restrictions along Constitution Boulevard; however, access is being maintained throughout the area.
Reach Description: Reach 2 is the area along 3100 South from Constitution Boulevard to Decker Lake Drive. The E Center and a few other businesses are located in this reach, as well as residents on either side of 3100 South. Access will be maintained throughout construction and we will continue to coordinate with the E Center so you can visit the great events they have to offer. When TRAX is completed along 3100 South, it will operate on the south side of the roadway.
· Work continues on the TRAX bridge approaches over I-215 on the south side of 3100 South.
· Work on the overhead electric system is also taking place near Decker Lake Drive.
· Crews are currently working on curbs and sidewalks near the E Center.
· Landscaping is scheduled to take place in planter islands toward the end of June.
· Traffic control is in place along 3100 South; however, access is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 3 is the area along Decker Lake Drive from 3100 South to Research Way (2770 South) and running east to Redwood Road. This area includes many commercial office buildings with thousands of employees. We will continue to work with businesses to ensure access is maintained.
· Progress continues on the northern portion of Decker Lake Drive just south of Research Way. This temporary closure is anticipated to last until the first part of June. Access will be maintained to all businesses. We thank businesses for their support and patience. Please see the map for detour information.
· Track and station work continues in the center of Decker Lake Drive.
· We encourage motorists to please obey the posted speed limits along Decker Lake Drive.
· Decker Lake Drive is expected to be reopened to north/south traffic in mid-June.
· Third party utility work will continue along Research Way throughout June.
Traffic Impacts: Currently, there are lane restrictions along Decker Lake Drive and Research Way, but access is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 4 runs through the Chesterfield residential area along 2770 South and proceeds along the Decker Lake Canal and the Crosstowne Trail. We will work with residents to ensure a safe working environment that provides access to their properties throughout construction.
· Significant work has been accomplished in the Chesterfield area. Crews continue to work on the rail and other items in this area.
Reach Description: Reach 5 includes construction along 1070 West in the Chesterfield industrial area. This reach includes one bridge structure over the Jordan River and another over 900 West.
· Crews are currently excavating the east side of 1070 West. This work will include new curb, gutter, sidewalk, and driveways. Access to all businesses will be maintained.
· We thank businesses in this area for their patience during construction.
· Work also continues on the Jordan River Bridge and tunnel.
Traffic Impacts: There are various lane restrictions on 1070 West; however, access to businesses is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 6 runs through the Union Pacific Railroad’s Roper Yard area. Although there are no businesses and residents, extensive coordination will take place to ensure that freight deliveries and other train travel is maintained. Reach 6 includes an extensive bridging system that will enable TRAX to operate over other train traffic.
· Progress continues on the TRAX bridge structures over 900 West at approximately 2200 South and also at the Union Pacific Railroad Roper Yard area.
· Work is also taking place on the overhead electric system.
Reach Description: Reach 7 is the area where the West Valley Line connects with the current north/south TRAX Line. Construction will take place along Andy Avenue in South Salt Lake and crews will closely coordinate activities with businesses to ensure access is maintained.
· Drainage and track work continues between 300 West and 600 West.
· Crews are scheduled to distribute ties and rail toward the last part of June between 300 West and 600 West.
· Track is scheduled to be placed over 300 West near Andy Avenue during July. More details regarding this work will be available during the next few weeks.
Traffic Impacts: Currently there are no traffic impacts on Andy Avenue.
Access during Construction
UTA is committed to maintaining 24-hour access to all of the businesses and residences along the construction corridor. We will coordinate with businesses in cases where access may be temporarily limited.
Construction on the project is permitted to take place between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Additionally, specific activities may require different working hours, depending upon conditions and will be coordinated with city officials.
If you are interested in learning more about the construction project, please call our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854.
For More Information
Timely and helpful information is available to assist business and residential communities, as well as commuters and stakeholders.
If you have questions or comments regarding the project, please contact our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854 or e-mail email@example.com. You can also visit UTA’s Web site at www.rideuta.com.