Image via Wikipedia
Construction progress continues on the West Valley TRAX Line. To keep business and traffic impacts to a minimum, this five-mile project has been separated into seven construction “reaches,” or segments, for management and planning purposes. The map below shows each construction reach in a different color, starting with Reach 1 in light green on the south end of the project and ending with Reach 7 in light green on the east end of the project.
A description of what is happening in each area is listed below. If you need further construction information, please call our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854.
Reach Description: Reach 1 is the area along Constitution Boulevard (2700 West) from West Valley City Hall at 3600 South extending north to 3100 South. This area includes both large and small businesses, as well as many residents. Access to all businesses and residences will be maintained throughout construction.
· Overhead electric poles are being installed near West Valley City Hall and Constitution Boulevard.
· Crews continue working on the rail and the ballast in the center of Constitution Boulevard.
· Concrete work will continue next week on grade landings, ramps and steps.
· Crews will continue working on irrigation and landscaping items near Market and Lehman Streets.
Traffic Impacts: There currently are minor lane restrictions along Constitution Boulevard; however, access is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 2 is the area along 3100 South from Constitution Boulevard to Decker Lake Drive. The E Center and a few other businesses are located in this reach, as well as residents on either side of 3100 South. Access will be maintained and we will coordinate with the E Center so you can continue to visit the great events they have to offer. When TRAX is completed along 3100 South, it will operate on the south side of the roadway.
· Work continues on the TRAX bridge approaches over I-215 on the south side of 3100 South.
· Crews are currently distributing rail and ballast on the south side of 3100 South between Maple Way and Decker Lake Drive.
· Crews are installing rail on the south side of 3100 South and Decker Lake Drive intersection. Please obey speed limits.
· Work on the overhead electric system is taking place near Decker Lake Drive and 3100 South.
· Curbs and sidewalks are being poured at 3100 South
· Traffic control is in place along 3100 South; however, access is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 3 is the area along Decker Lake Drive from 3100 South to Research Way (2770 South) and running east to Redwood Road. This area includes many commercial office buildings with thousands of employees. We will continue to work with businesses to ensure access is maintained.
· Track and station work continues in the center of Decker Lake Drive.
· Underground utility work continues along Research Way.
· We encourage motorists to please obey the posted speed limits.
· Decker Lake Drive is open to north/south traffic (see map to the right) –Decker Lake Drive is now open to north/south traffic on the east side of the road. This configuration will be in place until further progress is made at the 3100 South intersection. We thank the businesses for their support and patience and encourage them to call the construction hotline if issues arise.
· Utility and road construction on Research Way between Decker Lake Drive and Redwood Road – this portion of road work is currently under construction as crews move utilities. The remainder of work is scheduled to take place during spring 2010 – access will be maintained.
· Redwood Road track crossing – this portion of work is scheduled to take place during spring 2010 – access will be maintained.
Traffic Impacts: Currently, there are lane restrictions along Decker Lake Drive and Research Way, but access is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 4 runs through the Chesterfield residential area along 2770 South and proceeds along the Decker Lake Canal and the Crosstowne Trail. We will work with residents to ensure a safe working environment that provides access to their properties.
· Significant work has been accomplished in the Chesterfield area. Crews continue to work on the rail and other items in this area.
Reach Description: Reach 5 will include construction along 1070 West in the Chesterfield industrial area. This reach will include one bridge structure over the Jordan River and another over 900 West.
· Crews have begun work on the west side of 1070 West. Crews will form and pour curb, gutter, sidewalk and driveways. Crews will then begin work on the east side of 1070 West.
· Crews are working on the overhead wiring system.
· Work continues on the Jordan River bridge and the pedestrian and bike tunnel.
Traffic Impacts: As construction proceeds, there will be lane restrictions, although access will be maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 6 runs through the Union Pacific Railroad’s Roper Yard area. Although there are no businesses and residents, extensive coordination will take place to ensure that freight deliveries and other train travel is maintained. Reach 6 includes plans for an extensive bridging system that will enable TRAX to operate over other train traffic.
· Progress continues on the TRAX bridge structures over 900 West at approximately 2200 South and also at the Union Pacific Railroad Roper Yard area.
· Work is also taking place on the overhead electric system.
Reach Description: Reach 7 is the area where the West Valley Line will connect with the current north/south TRAX Line. Construction will take place along Andy Avenue in South Salt Lake. Crews will closely coordinate activities with businesses to ensure access is maintained.
· Progress continues on the TRAX bridge approaches on either side of 600 West.
· Crews will begin drainage and continue track work throughout April.
Traffic Impacts: Currently there are no traffic impacts on Andy Avenue.
Access during Construction
UTA is committed to maintaining 24-hour access to all of the businesses and residences along the construction corridor. We will coordinate with businesses in cases where access may be temporarily limited.
Construction on the project is permitted to take place between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Additionally, specific activities may require different working hours depending upon the conditions and will be coordinated with city officials.
If you are interested in learning more about the construction project, please call our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854.
For More Information
Timely and helpful information is available to assist business and residential communities as well as commuters and stakeholders.
If you have further questions not answered by this report or any comments regarding the project, please contact our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854 or e-mail email@example.com. You can also visit UTA’s Web site at www.rideuta.com.