Image by Steven Vance via Flickr
UTA Mid-Jordan TRAX Line Weekly Construction Update: April 9, 2010
* The Jordan River Parkway Trail closure has been extended through April 15 due to inclement weather this week.
* Cottonwood Street will be closed on Monday, April 19 while crews replace the rail at the railroad crossing.
* Winchester Street in Murray will remain closed at the TRAX crossing through April 13 due to inclement weather and utility conflicts.
* 5200 West will be closed at the railroad crossing on Saturday, April 17 from 9 am to 3 pm.
* Redwood Road between 7800 South and 9000 South will be subject to ongoing lane closures through late May.
* 2200 West will NOT be closed at the railroad crossing (between Sugar Factory Road and Pauline Way) from April 12-16. It will be reduced to a one-lane road with flaggers
* On-street parking will be prohibited on Sugar Factory Road between 2200 West and 2320 West from Monday, April 12 through Friday, April 16.
* Please use caution when approaching railroad crossings throughout the project area. Crews and equipment travel on the rails frequently.
The Mid-Jordan TRAX line is a 10.6 mile light rail line that will connect the communities of Murray, Midvale, West Jordan and South Jordan with the existing Sandy/Salt Lake TRAX line. It runs from the existing TRAX line at 6400 South to approximately 7400 South, then turns west along the Bingham Branch of the Union Pacific Railroad. At 5600 West, the line turns south again and ends at the southern end of the Daybreak development. For construction purposes, the line has been segmented into five sections. The map below shows each section in a different color, beginning with Daybreak on the southwest end and ending with Cottonwood at the northeast end.
(This segment runs north through the Daybreak development to Old Bingham Highway at approximately 5600 West)
Crews are working to finish concrete work at the Daybreak South station platform, and moving forward with electrical work.
Old Bingham Area
(This segment runs parallel to the existing Union Pacific Railroad Bingham Branch line,
along the Old Bingham Highway from approximately 5600 West to the Bangerter Station, east of Bangerter Highway)
Crews completed installation of the OCS messenger wire, and will be stringing the contact wire from 4800 West to 3200 West this week. Track work continues, as well as concrete work at the 5600 West and 4800 West platforms.
* NEW ACTIVITY: Track work at 5200 West.
TRAFFIC IMPACT: 5200 West will be closed at the railroad crossing on Saturday, April 17 from 9 am to 3 pm.
* ACTIVITY: Stringing OCS wire between 4800 West and 3200 West.
TRAFFIC IMPACT: Flaggers and traffic officers will occasionally be present at the 9000 South rail crossing to accommodate movement of crews and wire-hanging equipment.
Sugar Factory Area
(This segment continues northeast along the UPRR Bingham Branch from approximately Bangerter
Highway to Gardner Village)
Crews will continue cutting the pavement this week prior to crossing reconstruction on Redwood Road near 8000 South. Track work and OCS pole installation continues. The Sugar Factory Road sound wall should be complete later this month.
*NEW ACTIVITY: Pre-cutting pavement and installation of new crossing signal poles prior to railroad crossing reconstruction.
TRAFFIC IMPACT: Intermittent lane closures on Redwood Road from 9 am – 3 pm weekdays and all day weekends from Wednesday, April 7 through Saturday, April 17. Business access will be maintained.
*NEW ACTIVITY: Sound wall panel delivery and installation on Sugar Factory Road at 2200 West.
TRAFFIC IMPACT: 2200 West will be reduced to one lane from Monday, April 12 through Friday, April 16 at the railroad crossing. Flaggers will be present.
Gardner Village Area
(This segment continues along the UPRR Bingham Branch northeast from Gardner Village to 700 West)
Crews are constructing the bent caps (concrete supports on top of the pillars) for the Jordan River bridge. Cyclists and pedestrians using the Jordan Valley Parkway Trail should be aware that the trail closure has been extended through Wednesday, April 14 due to inclement weather. Concrete work continues at the retaining wall east of Gardner Village.
*NEW ACTIVITY: Jordan River Parkway trail reconstruction.
TRAFFIC IMPACT: The Jordan River Parkway trail closure has been extended through Wednesday, April 14 due to inclement weather.
(This segment extends north from 700 West along the existing light rail alignment to its terminus at the 6400 South-
Fashion Place Station)
Water line work continues on Winchester Street, and track work is accelerating in this segment. Crews are beginning excavation and grading work at the site of the new Fashion Place Station park and ride. OCS and track work continues in Lovendahl Yard.
* NEW ACTIVITY: Rail replacement at the Cottonwood Street railroad crossing.
TRAFFIC IMPACT: Cottonwood Street will be closed on Monday, April 19.
* ACTIVITY: Installation of a new water line near the Fashion Place Park and Ride.
TRAFFIC IMPACT: Winchester Street will remain closed at the TRAX crossing through Tuesday, April 13. Motorists are asked to use 7200 S as an alternate.
This schedule is subject to change due to weather, materials issues, or unanticipated utility conflicts.
Access during Construction
UTA is committed to maintaining 24-hour access to all of the businesses and residences along the construction corridor. We will coordinate with businesses in cases where access may be temporarily limited.
Construction is permitted to take place between 7 am to 7 pm Monday through Saturday. Additionally, specific activities may require different working hours depending upon conditions and will be coordinated with city officials.
If you are interested in learning more about the construction project, please call our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 550-2211.
For More Information
Information is available to assist business and residential communities as well as commuters and stakeholders.
If you have questions or comments regarding the project, please contact our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 550-2211 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit the UTA Web site at www.rideuta.com/projects/midjordanlightrail.