Saturday, July 24, 2010
West Valley TRAX Construction Update
Construction continues on the West Valley TRAX Line. To keep business and traffic impacts to a minimum, this five-mile project has been separated into seven construction “reaches,” or segments, for management and planning purposes.
A description of what is happening in each area is listed below. If you need further construction information, please call our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854.
Reach Description: Reach 1 is the area along Constitution Boulevard (2700 West) from West Valley City Hall at 3600 South, extending north to 3100 South. This area includes both large and small businesses, as well as many residents. Access to all businesses and residences will be maintained.
· Crews are forming and pouring the platform at West Valley City Hall.
· Crews are installing sprinklers and placing topsoil in planter islands.
· The intersection at 3100 South and Constitution Boulevard will temporarily close beginning Saturday, July 31, at 10 p.m. until Monday, August 2, at 5 a.m. This temporary closure is taking place so crews can place the final layer of asphalt in the intersection. Motorists will be required to use posted detours. More information will be included in next week’s weekly construction update.
Reach Description: Reach 2 is the area along 3100 South from Constitution Boulevard to Decker Lake Drive. The E Center and a few other businesses are located in this reach, as well as residents on either side of 3100 South. Access will be maintained and we will coordinate with the E Center so you can continue to visit the great events they have to offer. When TRAX is completed along 3100 South, it will operate on the south side of the roadway.
· Crews will begin work on the north side of 3100 South and Constitution Boulevard early next week. Crews will be removing and replacing driveways. Access to businesses will be maintained.
· Work continues at the station platform located at Decker Lake Drive and 3100 South.
· Crews are working on curbs and sidewalks near the E Center.
· Traffic control is in place along 3100 South; however, access is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 3 is the area along Decker Lake Drive from 3100 South to Research Way (2770 South) and east to Redwood Road. This area includes many commercial office buildings with thousands of employees. We will continue to work with businesses to ensure access is maintained.
· Crews continue driveway work along the north side of Research Way between Redwood Road and Decker Lake Drive. Access to businesses will be maintained.
· Track work is scheduled to take place across Redwood Road at the end of July. This work will be phased to allow for access.
Traffic Impacts: There are lane restrictions along Decker Lake Drive and Research Way, but access is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 4 runs through the Chesterfield residential area along 2770 South and proceeds along the Decker Lake Canal and the Crosstowne Trail. We will work with residents to ensure a safe working environment that provides access to their properties throughout construction.
· Significant work has been accomplished in the Chesterfield area. Crews continue to work on the rail and other items.
Reach Description: Reach 5 includes construction along 1070 West in the Chesterfield industrial area. This reach includes one bridge structure over the Jordan River and another over 900 West.
· 1070 West is closed just north of 2320 South for the next four to five weeks. Alternate access will be maintained for businesses.
· Work will continue along the center of 1070 West throughout the summer months.
· Work also continues on the Jordan River Bridge and tunnel.
Traffic Impacts: There are various lane restrictions on 1070 West; however, access to businesses is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 6 runs through the Union Pacific Railroad’s Roper Yard area. Although there are no businesses and residents, extensive coordination will take place to ensure that freight deliveries and other train travel is maintained. Reach 6 includes an extensive bridging system that enables TRAX to operate over other train traffic.
· Progress continues on the TRAX bridge structures over 900 West at approximately 2200 South and at the Union Pacific Railroad Roper Yard area.
· Work is also taking place on the overhead electric system.
Reach Description: Reach 7 is the area where the West Valley Line will connect with the current north/south TRAX Line. Construction is taking place along Andy Avenue in South Salt Lake. Crews will closely coordinate activities with businesses to ensure access is maintained.
· Track work continues near Andy Avenue near 300 West in South Salt Lake City.
Access during Construction
UTA is committed to maintaining 24-hour access to all businesses and residences along the construction corridor. We will coordinate with businesses in cases where access may be temporarily limited.
Construction on the project is permitted to take place between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Additionally, specific activities may require different working hours depending upon conditions and will be coordinated with city officials.
If you are interested in learning more about the construction project, please call our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854.
For More Information
Timely and helpful information is available to assist business and residential communities as well as commuters and stakeholders.
If you questions or comments, please contact our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854 or e-mail email@example.com. You can also visit UTA’s Web site at www.rideuta.com.