Image by boltzr via FlickrWelcome!
Construction progress continues on the West Valley TRAX Line. To keep business and traffic impacts to a minimum, this five-mile project has been separated into seven construction “reaches,” or segments, for management and planning purposes. The map below shows each construction reach in a different color, starting with Reach 1 in light green on the south end of the project and ending with Reach 7 in dark green on the north end.
A description of what is happening in each area is listed below. If you need further construction information, please call our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854.
Reach Description: Reach 1 is the area along Constitution Boulevard (2700 West) from West Valley City Hall at 3600 South extending north to 3100 South. This area includes both large and small businesses, as well as many residents. Access to all businesses and residences will be maintained.
· Crews continue to form and pour concrete near the station platform at the West Valley City Hall.
· Significant work has taken place on the curb, gutters and driveways on the west side of Constitution Boulevard.
· The west side of the roadway on Constitution Boulevard is scheduled to be paved mid-October.
· After the west side is paved, traffic will be switched to the east side so it can be top paved.
· Crews will begin to work on the track on Constitution Boulevard between 3100 South and 3500 South in mid-October.
· Traffic on 2700 West between 3100 South and 3500 South is operational on the east side of the road. Please be mindful of construction crews and obey posted speed limits.
· Watch for “Business Access” signs on the west side of Constitution Boulevard. All businesses are open and access is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 2 is the area along 3100 South from Constitution Boulevard to Decker Lake Drive. The E Center and businesses are located in this reach, as well as residents on either side of 3100 South. Access will be maintained and we will work with the E Center to coordinate our efforts so you can continue to visit the great events they have to offer. When TRAX is completed along 3100 South, it will operate on the south side of the roadway.
Current Construction: Crews continue to build the TRAX bridge approach between Maple Way and I-215. Work also continues on the actual bridge crossing I-215 south of 3100 South.
· Nighttime construction is taking place on the TRAX bridge over I-215 on the south side of 3100 South. Noise impacts are anticipated to be minimal during nighttime work activities. Residents are encouraged to call the 24-hour hotline number at (888) 800-8854 with questions or concerns.
Traffic Impacts: Currently there are lane restrictions on 3100 South; however, access is being maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 3 is the area along Decker Lake Drive from 3100 South to Research Way (2770 South) and east to Redwood Road. This area includes many commercial office buildings with thousands of employees who access this area on a daily basis. We will continue to work with businesses to ensure access is maintained.
· Decker Lake Drive is now closed for three months to accelerate the TRAX construction schedule. Access is being maintained through the detour listed below. Businesses are encouraged to call the hotline at 888-800-8854 if issues arise.
· Sidewalks will be paved on the east side of Decker Lake Drive beginning mid-October.
· Construction is currently on schedule in this area.
· Utility work is scheduled to begin on Research Way in mid-October. More details will be available in the next weekly update.
Traffic Impacts: Please see the above listed detour implemented during the temporary closure on Decker Lake Drive.
Reach Description: Reach 4 runs through the Chesterfield residential area along 2770 South and proceeds along the Decker Lake Canal and the Crosstowne Trail. We will work with residents to ensure a safe working environment and access to their properties throughout construction.
Current Construction: Significant work has been accomplished in the Chesterfield area. Crews continue to work on the rail and other items.
· The Crosstowne Trail along 2770 South just east of Redwood Road to the Brighton Canal has been paved but will remain closed until TRAX is completed in this area.
Reach Description: Reach 5 includes construction along 1070 West in the Chesterfield industrial area. This reach will include one bridge structure over the Jordan River and another over 900 West.
· Water line work continues on the east side of 1070 West.
· Work continues on the Jordan River bridge and the pedestrian and bike tunnel.
Upcoming Construction: After utility work is complete, crews will begin work on the curb, gutter and roadway on the west side of 1070 West. Construction is anticipated to take place for the next several months.
Traffic Impacts: As construction proceeds, there will be lane restrictions, although access will be maintained.
Reach Description: Reach 6 runs through the Union Pacific Railroad’s Roper Yard area. Although there are no businesses and residents, extensive coordination will take place to ensure that freight deliveries and other train travel is maintained. Reach 6 includes plans for an extensive bridging system that will enable TRAX to operate over other train traffic.
· Significant progress continues on the TRAX bridge structures over the Roper Yard area near 2200 South and 600 West. Crews are currently installing the bridge girders.
· Crews also continue work of the TRAX bridge approaches on either side of 900 West just south of SR 201. Construction is proceeding just east of 900 West along the south side of SR 201.
Currently there are no traffic impacts on 600 West.
Reach Description: Reach 7 is the area where the West Valley Line will connect with the current north/south TRAX Line. Construction will take place along Andy Avenue in South Salt Lake. Crews will closely coordinate activities with businesses to ensure access is maintained.
Current Construction: Roadway construction is currently underway along Andy Avenue. We thank businesses for their support during this phase of construction.
· Roadway work will continue on Andy Avenue throughout the next few weeks as crews work on the guide way excavation.
· Progress is also being made on the TRAX bridge approaches on either side of 600 West.
Traffic Impacts: Currently there are no traffic impacts on Andy Avenue.
Access during Construction
UTA is committed to maintaining 24-hour access to all of the businesses and residences along the construction corridor. We will coordinate with businesses in cases where access may be temporarily limited.
Construction on the project is permitted to take place between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Additionally, specific activities may require different working hours depending upon conditions and will be coordinated with city officials.
If you are interested in learning more about the construction project, please call our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854.
For More Information
Timely and helpful information is available to assist business and residential communities, as well as commuters and stakeholders.
If you have questions or comments regarding the project, please contact our toll-free 24-hour hotline at (888) 800-8854 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit UTA’s Web site at www.rideuta.com.